Featured Creator: Lori Edwards- Cake Decorator and Manager


Meet ME….yup that's really me.

I began working here at The Cake Boutique when we first opened two years ago. My degree is actually in elementary education, however, through some courses and a lot of practice at home I picked up all my fondant techniques. Working at a bakery is great, as you are always working on something different, whether it be a birthday cake, baptism, or wedding- everyday is an adventure! We began writing these blogs just a few months ago, and are coming up on almost 10,000 views! I hope you find our tips and features interesting, and remember you can always send us comments about topics you would like to learn more about.

We make all sorts of desserts here at The Cake Boutique, but when I am home my favorite dessert to make is a buttermilk chocolate cake my mother use to make when I was young. I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake- but this family recipe in particular is one of my favorites! At The Cake Boutique my favorite combination is the Chocolate Chip pound cake with chocolate buttercream. I am a big fan of a denser cake,  like a pound cake. I often love it with no buttercream at all but the chocolate buttercream is rich and just melts in your mouth…yum yum! A tip to making smooth delicious icing is to make sure you sift your powder sugar, although it can be a pain this extra step is important. Also, if you want a delicious BUTTERcream…..use butter! 

We have numerous cake decorators here at the bakery, but quite often when you do  a certain type of cake well- they become one of your specialties and often you will be the one to make them as future orders come in. I make most of the baby bum cakes and the nursing graduation cakes. It really is tough to choose just one cake as a favorite cake, and I think every week I have a new favorite!  I have made a ton of cakes and a lot of nursing cakes in particular, but the first one I made, I think was my overall favorite cake I've made. 

Seeing cakes being made on TV in a half hour show leads many people to believe that making specialty cakes are easy. These shows don't really portray the amount of man hours and labor that these cakes take. We teach decorating classes on Sunday's here at the bakery- and most people are shocked at how things like making the simple rope border at the bottom of the cake takes practice to make it perfect and even that isn't simple. If you would like to learn some cake decorating techniques check out the events section of The Cake Boutique-nj Facebook page for all the upcoming classes. If making your own sweets isn't your thing…you're in luck because it is ours, so try out a local bakery near you that you trust or have heard good things about. Don't be afraid to ask the bakery for good flavor options and for their specialty items. If you have seen their work and are pleased with it, giving them freedom in design sometimes creates the best cakes. It is good to show them what you had in mind or examples of cakes you found on the internet, but listen to their suggestions, because remember they do this all day, everyday! 

I hope you have enjoyed reading about all of us here at The Cake Boutique- stayed tuned for some of our blooper photos that didn't quite make the cut! 




Comments

Popular Posts